Refine and polish are two things Apple loves to do. And that's what we have in the free update for iPad and iPhone this week. iOS 7.1 can be downloaded simply by opening Settings > General > Software Update, and then tap Download and Install. If you're connected to a wifi network and have more than 50% battery, the download should come relatively quickly and install onto your device within ten or twenty minutes. Easy peasy.
This certainly isn't a life-changing update, but it will make your experience a bit more enjoyable. Here's what might catch your eye.
- Visual refinements: refreshed Phone buttons and app icons.
- Additional Accessibility options: enable button shapes, darker colors, and reduced transparency (Settings > General > Accessibility).
- Improved Touch ID for iPhone 5s.
- Camera setting to automatically enable HDR on iPhone 5s.
- Siri can listen by holding down the home button, and then releasing it when you're done speaking as an alternative to letting Siri automatically notice when you're done talking.
- Calendar option to display events in month view.
- Improved performance on iPhone 4.
- Much more.
I am an Apple Certified Support Professional with over a decade of experience supporting families, schools, and businesses. Tech has always captured my imagination, but it's not my only passion. I'm an ordained Anglican minister; Aeropress is a daily ritual of mine; I've driven across Mongolia; and I'm the father of three girls. I hope to provide for you a balanced and realistic perspective into the practicality of technology.