Apple just announced the next evolution of iPhone, and for the first time ever, it comes in two different models: iPhone 5c and iPhone 5s. We also learned when iOS 7, the next major software upgrade, will be available for the iPhone you already own. Continue reading for a quick synopsis of these products as well as my suggestions for getting your hands on one.
Starting at just $99, the iPhone 5c packs all the power of last year's iPhone 5. The major differentiator is the five different colors to choose from: white, blue, yellow, green, and pink. My guess is that most people wanting to upgrade their phone will choose the iPhone 5c.
This is clearly Apple's flagship device and comes with all the latest technology. There are three major new features.
- Touch ID. There is now a fingerprint scanner built into the home button on the front of the device. This is used for unlocking the phone, as well as a substitute for signing into your Apple ID. Yes, that means that, instead of entering your password to buy an app, song, or movie, all you have to do is hold your finger on the home button. People are going to love this convenience.
- Faster performance. I won't totally geek out here with all the specs, but just know that iPhone 5s is insanely fast. Loading websites, launching apps, playing games, and chatting with Siri are all snappier on the new iPhone.
- Better camera. Here is where the fun comes in. The iPhone 5s camera is capable of recording slow-motion video at 120 frames per second as well as shooting Burst Mode photography, which are two excellent features for action footage. The new True Tone dual flash means that low-light pictures don't get bleached out by the flash. And finally, there are several improvements that make your darks darker and whites whiter. The world's most popular camera gets even better.
Yes, those of us at Macinstructor Headquarters are very excited about the new iPhones.
Obtaining a new iPhone
1. Which iPhone should I get?
If you already bought an iPhone 5 within the last year, you should probably hang onto it. That is an excellent phone, and while the new features of the iPhone 5s are great, they're most likely not worth breaking your contract in order to upgrade to this year's model. Keep using your iPhone 5 for another year.
If you have the iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S (both of which have a reflective, glass back), now is a great time to upgrade. It's up to you to decide between the iPhone 5c or iPhone 5s. We personally think the better camera, speed, and security of the iPhone 5s are well worth the extra money.
2. How do I buy a new iPhone?
We're not too sure why, but Apple decided to make the iPhone 5c available for pre-order, but not the iPhone 5s. This means that on September 13th, you can pre-order online the iPhone 5c and it will arrive on your doorstep on September 20th. Not too shabby. To order online, go to this website as early as you can on September 13th.
iOS 7 is the next major software upgrade for your iPhone, and it will be a free download on September 18th. Anyone with an iPhone 4 or newer will be able to install iOS 7 on their device. We strongly suggest everyone install the new software; however you should be aware that while all the functionality is exactly identical, it will look dramatically different.
What does that mean? Well, all your buttons and whatnot are in the same place as before—they just look different. To learn more about iOS 7, and why it's such an improvement over the previous version, click here.
We're here to help
As usual, please don't hesitate to send us your questions. And, if you would like assistance in moving your information from your old iPhone to a new one, please book an appointment with us, and we'll be glad to help. Thank you!